Jamyang Schools visits have been going for many years and the feed-back we receive has always been extremely positive. We host junior and senior class children and their teachers.
A typical school visit would run something like this:
School group arrives and are welcomed and each child is offered a drink and biscuit
A short talk about the history of our historic building and about Jamyang itself & health & safety
A tour of the building including the tiny old police holding cells (the kids love those!)
A short talk about Buddhism
A short simple guided meditation (if requested)
The school visits are hosted by a team of volunteers, under the guidance of Cynthia Bonell (for Primary Schools) and Ros Boughtflower (for Senior Schools). Both are very experienced teachers and long term Jamyang students.
If you would like your school to visit Jamyang please contact Jamyang's office:
Phone 020 7820 8787
We are Looking for School Visit Volunteers:
An opportunity has arisen for some new volunteers who would like to get involved with helping show children and teachers from Schools around the center. We are looking for a person or persons who would be able to commit 2 or 3 hours on an irregular basis ( up to 4 or 5 days a month) during school term time.
The role involves:
1. Greeting children and teachers and giving them a brief introduction to the general rules and safety issues.
2. Speaking about the historical background of the building.
3. Showing small groups around the cells, garden, entrance hall and the small and large gompas.
4. Explaining the meaning of the Buddha Statues and the many Thangkas.
5. Telling the ' Life Story of the Historical Buddha'.
6. Leading a non-Buddhist meditation for a few minutes for the visiting children. To begin with until you felt confident your role would be to assist and learn from the existing volunteers.
Contact Jamyang: Phone 020 7820 8787 or