Book recommendations.

Home Forums Basic Programme Book recommendations.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Kamlo Chen-Duffy
    Participant

Hello everyone,

In our review session today, people shared book recommendations that have helped with understanding the material and putting it into practice. So, I thought I would create a thread here for people to post their recommendations!

All the best,
    Kamlo

Katrin Veicht
    Participant

Hello Kamlo, Hello all,
    thank you for this opportunity.

Following book I find quite helpful on the diff. scopes: “Meditations on the Path to Enlightenment” by Geshe Acharya Thubten Loden – Tushita Publications.
    The introduction reads: At each stage of development the reader is introduced to the meditation techniques which actually effect the transformation to the enlightened experience. ISBN: 0646 27043 5.
    All best, Katrin

Ian Cushing
    Participant

Hey Kamlo,Hey Everyone,

Fantastic idea to share books we have found helpful. Below are the two books I find extremely helpful.

“Liberation in the palm of your hand” by Pabongka Rinpoche. ISBN 0-86171-500-4, ISBN-13 978-0861-71500-8
    Pabongka Rinpoche was one the twentieth century’s most charismatic and revered Tibetan lamas, and in Liberation in the Palm of Your Hand we can see why. In this famous twenty-four-day teaching on the lamrim, or stages of the path, Pabongka Rinpoche weaves together lively stories and quotations with frank observations and practical advice to move readers step by step along the journey to buddhahood. When his student Trijang Rinpoche first edited and published these teachings in Tibetan, an instant classic was born. The flavor and immediacy of the original Tibetan are preserved in Michael Richards’ fluid and lively translation, which is now substantially revised in this new edition. Goodreads.

“Practicing the Path” by Yangsi Rinpoche. ISBN 0-86171-346-X, ISBN 13:978-0-8671-1346-2
    The Lamrim Chenmo, or Great Treatise on the Steps of the Path, by Je Tsongkhapa is a comprehensive overview of the process of individual enlightenment. Meditation on these steps has been a core practice of Tibetan Buddhists for centuries. The Lamrim Chenmo presents the Buddha’s teachings along a continuum of three spiritual attitudes: the person who worries about rebirth, the person who wants to escape rebirth, and finally the person who strives for buddhahood in order to relieve the suffering of all beings–this is the supreme aspiration of the bodhisattva. Given over two months to a group of Western Students in Dharamsala, India, Yangsi Rinpoche’s commentary revitalizes our understanding of Tsongkhapa’s work, giving readers renewed inspiration. Goodreads.

Enjoy

Ian

Edita Aluziene
    Participant

Hello everybody,

I can highly recommend the book of Venerable Thubten Chodron “Guided Meditations on the Stages of the Path” which helps me tremendously to build a firm foundation for the daily analytical meditations on Lamrim topics as well as providing practical instructions how to deal with distractions, antidotes to mental afflictions.

Rejoice in your Dharma practice!
    Edita

Giorgia Bettili
    Participant

Patrul Rinpoche, Words of my perfect teacher

This is the Nyigma version of the Lam Rim. I find it refreshing.
    The order of the topics is not the same as in the Tsonkhapa’s exposition, but it is helping me to have a different approach and to be more flexible with the outlines and main topics.

Kamlo Chen-Duffy
    Participant
    Sarah Leach
    Participant

https://wisdomexperience.org/academy/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2016/07/Manual-of-Insight-for-Course.pdf

Here is a link to a free PDF of one of the books geshe-la mentioned last session.

Robyn Brentano
    Participant

I’m finding the second part of CUTTING THROUGH APPEARANCES is very clear and helpful.

This book presents the practice and theory of Tibetan Buddhism. First is a meditation manual written by the Fourth Pan-chen Lama (1781–1852), based on Tsongkhapa’s Three Principal Aspects of the Path, which covers the daily practice of Tibetan monks and yogis. It details how to properly conduct a meditation session that contains the entire scope of the Buddhist path. Next is the Presentation of Tenets, written by Gon-chok-jik-may-wang-bo. It covers Indian Buddhist schools, as viewed in Tibet, and provides a solid introduction to the Buddhist theory animating the practice. Topics include the two truths, consciousness, hindrances to enlightenment, paths to freedom, and fruits of practice.
    https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/224271/cutting-through-appearances-by-geshe-lhundup-sopa/

Jackie Yip
    Participant

HHDL’s Science and Philosophy in the Indian Buddhist Classics

Claire Lamme
    Participant

Tara’s Enlightened Activity: An Oral Commentary on the Twenty-One Praises to Tara, by Khenchen Palden Sherab Rinpoche and Khenpo Tsewang Dongyal Rinpoche.

Alison Rich
    Participant

For a bit of light relief, but still on the topic, I’ve really enjoyed reading ‘A Hare Marked Moon- from Bhutan to Yorkshire, a story of an English Stupa’ by David Lascelles. (I understand he is a patron of Jamyang Leeds). Lots I did not know about stupas!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.