Elementals – cosmology

Home Forums Basic Programme Elementals – cosmology

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Giorgia Bettili
    Participant

Hello!
    I have just come across a new being form in the Buddhist cosmology I have never seen it before!

In Pabonka’s ‘Liberation in the Palm of your hand’, on page 559, it is written: ‘..giving ritual cakes to the elementals’. Elementals?!
    Does someone know who are the Elementals? And where do they fit in the 6 Realms of the Desire Realm? Titans..?

Also, could someone address me to a trustworthy link where I can find the precise division of the 31 realms of existence? I would like to find a good pdf to keep as a reference point for the Buddhist cosmology.

Thank you very much for any help.

Jan Andresen
    Participant

Hi Giorgia

Elementals normally refers to what is called “chungpo” in Tibetan or “bhuta” in Sanskrit, a type of harmful spirit in the preta realm.

The 84000 project actually just published a new Sutra translation this week listing all the 31 realms and the lifespans of beings in each, called the Limit of Life Sutra.

Another source on the 31 realms is here: https://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/sagga/loka.html. This lists each of them together with sources from the Pali Canon.

Hope this helps.
    Jan

Giorgia Bettili
    Participant

Thank you very much Jan for your thorough reply.

I’d have another question related to cosmology.
    I am wondering if Tushita and the Pure Land of Amitabha are part of the Five Pure Abodes (hence still in the realm of existence)?
    I am a little bit confused, as I don’t understand how a Buddha could abide here (if it is still in existence) and, in the case these realms are out of samsara, how is it possible to be reborn here without having attained Enlightenment?

(Sorry, I had this question roaming in my mind for the last few months so I thought to take the chance to ask it in this tread in the context of cosmology)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.