Enlightening Your Brave Heart
Enlightening Your Brave Heart
WED | 19:00 - 20:30 | Confession: Preparing the Ground with Rhona Sayer
Whether you are new to the study of Buddhism or have been studying or practicing it for years, this course will provide you with the opportunity to develop your heart to overcome anger, frustration, depression and other negative emotions to face the modern world today with an attitude of caring and cherishing oneself and others including the environment around us. We will take you through Shantideva’s 8th-century text: The Way of the Bodhisattva or, in Sanskrit, the Bodhicaryavatara.
Rhona Sayer is the coordinator of the Jamyang London Guhyasamaja Tantra practice group and has organised retreats at Jamyang London and at Land of Joy. She studies the root texts and commentaries, and is most enthusiastic in sharing her knowledge with others. She combines the practice of tantra with academic study of the tradition – she is an FPMT registered teacher and long-term student of Khen Rinpoche Geshe Tashi Tsering as well as holding a Masters degree in Buddhist Studies from SOAS, University of London.
“If I have any understanding of compassion and the practices of the bodhisattva path, it is entirely on the basis of this text that I possess it.” H.H. the Dalai Lama
/WHAT YOU WILL LEARNThrough a combination of selected readings with commentary and guided meditation, you will learn to:
- Develop the courage of a good heart
- Dissolve the barriers between ‘self’ and ‘other’
- Discover insight into yourself as you really are
/HOW YOU WILL LEARN
- Short guided meditation or reflection
- Teachings and group practice
- Homework - Questions for Group discussions on retreat day. (30 to 60 mins)
- Question & Answer at the end of class
- Access to audio recordings (Available for registered students only)
/WHO THIS COURSE IS FOR:
Anyone is welcome to take this course. Suitable for complete beginners and those with experience and knowledge. Come to Study Buddhism with our vibrant community of students.
COURSE EVERY WED | 15 JAN - 13 MAY | 19:00 - 20:30
RETREAT SATURDAY | 22 FEB - 4 APR - 16 MAY | 10:00 - 15:30
This course is a unique combination of core subject knowledge organized into three modules.
Each module is comprised of 6 Wednesday classes.
At the end of each module, there will be one day-long retreat.
Awakens your compassionate potential
- 22/1/2020 Excellence of Bodhicitta with Jan Andresen
- 29/1/2020 Confession: Preparing the Ground with Rhona Sayer
- 5/2/2020 Confession: Preparing the Ground with Rhona Sayer
- 12/2/2020 Commitment: Awakening the Heart with Rhona Sayer
- 19/2/2020 Awareness: Guarding Compassion with Roy Sutherwood
RETREAT DAY SAT 22 FEB | 10:00 - 15:30 with Grace Gyatso and Jan Andresen
Uncover the strength to overcome anger, fear and destructive emotions
- 26/2/2020 Vigilance: Taming Your Wild Mind with Jane Sill
- 4/3/2020 Vigilance: Taming Your Wild Mind with Jane Sill
- 11/3/2020 Patience: Healing Anger with Jan Andresen
- 18/3/2020 Patience: Healing Anger with Jan Andresen
- 25/3/2020 Perseverance: Bringing Joy to the Path
- 1/4/2020 Perseverance: Bringing Joy to the Path
Understand your true nature
- 8/4/2020 Meditation: Dissolving the Barriers with Roy Sutherwood
- 15/4/2020 Meditation: Dissolving the Barriers with Roy Sutherwood
- 22/4/2020 Meditation: Dissolving the Barriers with Roy Sutherwood
- 29/4/2020 Wisdom: Transcendent Wisdom
- 6/5/2020 Wisdom: Transcendent Wisdom
- 13/5/2020 Wisdom: Transcendent Wisdom
RETREAT DAY SAT 16 MAY | 10:00 - 16:00 with Rhona Sayer
Booking is not mandatory but highly recommended because Jamyang can give you a better service. Jamyang Buddhist Centre operates within the ideal of offering dharma teachings without charging a fee, so that money is not an obstacle for anyone to hear the precious teachings and participate in the practices. We rely on the generous hearts of those who are moved to support the spiritual offerings and keep them open to everyone regardless of ability to pay.
Each module is comprised of 6 Wednesday classes and a day-long retreat. There are three modules in total.
Suggested donation: Single Wednesday Class: £10
Donation of your choice: at the door.
More options available on Eventbrite:
- Full Module (4 classes + retreat): £90
|Event date||29-01-2020 7:00 pm|
|Event End Date||29-01-2020 8:30 pm|
|Location||Jamyang Buddhist Centre London|