Introduction to Meditation: a comprehensive three-part course with one of the most skilful teachers, Roy Sutherwood.
- 11 February 2021 | Shamata
- 18 February 2021 | The Four Immeasurables
- 25 February 2021 | Wisdom
About the Teacher
Roy Sutherwood is a former Trustee and Director of Jamyang London Buddhist Centre, and an FPMT recognised teacher. He has studied under masters of Buddhist philosophy and meditation for many years. He facilitates classes in Tibetan Buddhism at the Buddhist Society and is also a qualified teacher of secular Mindfulness techniques.
About the Course
The popularity of mindfulness and meditation has accelerated dramatically in recent years, in no small part due to the increasing number of scientific research papers which corroborate the efficacy of such practices for developing greater emotional intelligence, focus, decision making capacity, and general mental health. These meditation techniques originated in ancient India, and were adopted and adapted by the Buddhist tradition. This course provides an introductory overview of meditation, with each session devoted to a specific type of meditation that is fundamental to Tibetan Buddhism. These include:
- Shamata Also known as calm abiding or concentration meditation, this type of meditation enables the development of a composed, calm and tranquil mind.
- The Four Immeasurables This is the term for a set of analytical meditations which help to foster the wholesome emotions of Love, Compassion, Joy and Equanimity.
- Wisdom The last session will be on a simple analytical meditation aimed at gaining an insight into the true nature of the self.
Is this for me?
Absolutely! This course is for all who wish to develop practical meditation methods which they can apply to improve their daily lives, whether or not they identify as Buddhists, and regardless of their prior experience of meditation.
What can I expect?
A comprehensive introductory overview of Buddhist meditation and its potential to improve the mental wellbeing of those who practice it.
How can I join?
This is a three-part course. Registration will close 30 minutes before the start of the first teaching. Your ticket and Zoom link is valid for all three teachings.
No one will be turned away because of lack of funds. If the existing tier options are not accessible for you, please email [email protected] to request additional financial support. Everyone is welcome, regardless of what you can pay. We want to help find a pricing plan that is workable for your situation.