NEW ROLE AVAILABLE!
Join our Board of Trustees.
- Volunteer for Jamyang London Buddhist Centre More details are below.
- Volunteer for CCC – Courthouse Community Centre If you would like to volunteer for any of the projects, please e-mail Jane.
- Volunteer for Science & Wisdom Live If you would like to volunteer Science & Wisdom Live , please check their website
Volunteer for Jamyang London Buddhist Centre
Volunteers are the bedrock and foundation of all we do at Jamyang London Buddhist Centre.
- By offering their time in service, our volunteers can make a real difference in maintaining the centre as an oasis of refuge and spiritual practice amidst the hustle and bustle of London.
- In addition, they have the opportunity to develop professional skills and inner qualities like resilience, warm-heartedness and selflessness.
How to get involved?
- Local Volunteer: If you are London-based you can help Jamyang London Buddhist Centre on a periodic or ad-hoc basis. We schedule volunteering hours based on our volunteers’ availability.
- Resident Volunteer: For a more immersive experience of 35 volunteering hours per week, normally split between morning and evening shifts, for a period of 3 months. Resident volunteers are able to leave the programme at any time, and we ask you to note that Jamyang can also ask volunteers to leave early if the arrangement is not working. Currently, we are only able to accept resident volunteer applications from UK residents, due to ongoing international restrictions
What does volunteering entail?
- The volunteers will learn/improve hospitality skills, which includes greeting visitors at the reception, cleaning and preparing rooms for events.
- This means that the ideal volunteer will have a strong interest in Buddhism, some history of working in the hospitality sector, strength of character, emotional maturity, as well as an eagerness to help and take on responsibility.
While we encourage our volunteers to deepen their Buddhist practice by attending our wide range of teachings and activities, it’s important to realise that the volunteer placement is a way to integrate Buddhist practice and service. The placement is not a retreat.
Would it suit me?
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate oral and written competency in the English language at least equivalent to the B2 level in the Common European Framework of Reference for languages (CEFR).
- Vegetarian meals and single room accommodation are provided to Resident Volunteers.
Anything else I should know?
To create conditions that are conducive to contemplative living, residents at Jamyang London Buddhist Centre are asked to abide by the Five Mahayana Precepts whilst in the building. They are:
- Preserve life. This includes the lives of our smallest, most abundant, and at times, most difficult insects.
- Respect other people’s property by taking only what is offered.
- Speak only what is true. Dishonesty and divisive speech create disharmony.
- Protect the integrity of others by acknowledging the suffering caused by sexual misconduct.
- Cultivate clarity and concentration of the mind by abstaining from the use of intoxicants and mind-altering substances including, drugs, alcohol, and cigarettes.
I want to volunteer. How can I apply?
Please fill out the appropriate form:
Once you complete the form, please let us know that you have done so at: [email protected]
We look forward to hearing from you.
There are currently no job vacancies.
Subscribe to the Jamyang newsletter to receive updates on new opportunities