Great Exposition school – clarification

Home Forums Basic Programme Great Exposition school – clarification

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Nidhi Aggarwal
    Participant

As per the teachings, in the great exposition school, the form body of the Buddha is regarded as contaminated as arisen from contaminated causes and conditions.

However, my understanding is that Buddha had been on path of accumulation for 3 countless great eons, had been born as Buddha by the power of his aspirational prayers. He might have abandoned all his afflictions and their seeds long ago. Maybe, he abandoned obscurations to knowledge in his last life as Buddha. Then, is this obscuration to knowledge cited as the contaminated cause for Buddha’s form body not being the Buddha.

If Buddha could give away his body to benefit the tiger cubs without arising of I or malice as per Vajra cutter, then in my understanding, he was not grasping to an I. If he was Bodhisattva on the path, he would have realisation of emptiness and selflessness, much earlier. In Vajra cutter it says, “if there is grasping at an I, then he is not to be called a Boddhisattva.” Or Vajra cutter is in the class of Prajnaparamita texts and not accepted by Great Exposition School as words of the Buddha.

Anyone , having clearer perspective on this one?

Happy Chokhor Duchen!

Tashi delek
    Nidhi

Nidhi Aggarwal
    Participant

On review of study material, I understand
    1. As per the Great exposition school, all accumulation of merit happens on the path of accumulation. Therefore, A bodhisattva has not abandoned afflictive obscurations.
    2. Also, bodhisattva progresses from heat stage of path of preparation to being a Buddha in one single session as per this school.

As per the two points above, my question is not valid in context of Great Exposition school.

Thank you.
    Nidhi

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.