Reply To: I can’t meditate. I won’t meditate. I must meditate.

Home Forums Basic Programme I can’t meditate. I won’t meditate. I must meditate. Reply To: I can’t meditate. I won’t meditate. I must meditate.

Jared K. Jones
Participant

@Katrin. I did recite a bit of the Metta Sutta. The translation was from here:
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/snp/snp.1.08.amar.html

I had a bit of advice in this regard, and I’ve found this quite helpful. You’ll hear the same teachings again and again: each of the lamrim topics, the instructions on the immeasurables, bodhicitta, emptiness, shamatha, and so forth. Each time you go through teachings on a subject something else will grab you and really move the heart or move the mind. Certain ways of saying things or visualising things will impact you more deeply than others.

If you start taking notes on a topic and keeping them centralised (like in a Google doc or Word doc, for example), then over time you can develop a manual that is exactly tailored to your internal architecture. Those things that move your mind quickly and easily into subjective meditations or topical-contemplative meditations will be close at hand. After a while, these notes are in your mind, ready to use – sometimes arising on their own.

While I have no realisations and no special knowledge of any kind, I have found this advice useful (even as horribly as I have applied it over the years). So, the meditation I took us through was one such manual, albeit one modified for a secular audience.