Reply To: Establishing Daily Study, Contemplation, and Meditation Practice

Home Forums Basic Programme Establishing Daily Study, Contemplation, and Meditation Practice Reply To: Establishing Daily Study, Contemplation, and Meditation Practice

Robyn Brentano
Participant

Thanks Jared for your response to Laura. Great conversation. I could follow right up to “Like knowingness, emptiness is always an ’emptiness of…’ rather than ’emptiness’ by itself, and due to this, it is also merely conventionally existent.” I don’t follow the conclusion you’ve reached about emptiness being conventionally existent. If I understood Geshe la correctly in his teaching on the Six Perfections [6/6], he pointed out that, while dependent origination provides a way of understanding emptiness, emptiness itself, as a mere absence of inherent existence in anything, is an ultimate truth. To say that something lacks inherent existence is different from making an affirmative statement (such as dependent origination) about phenomena on the level of conventional reality. I’ve never studied epistemology, so I may be mixing apples and oranges here. Your thoughts?