Establishing Daily Study, Contemplation, and Meditation Practice

Home Forums Basic Programme Establishing Daily Study, Contemplation, and Meditation Practice

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Jared K. Jones
    Participant

Hello friends,

For many years, a Dharma comrade and I have met regularly to work on Dharma issues on Sundays. We spend a bit of time studying relevant textual passages, share contemplations that are working to generate internal states with one another, and do meditations. I’ve found this quite supportive for my practice.

Per another post, many of us do not have a set dharma study, contemplation, and meditation practice. Some aspects of my practices are well-established, others are a bit too loose and amorphous. I’m sure most of you can relate, even if you’ve been at this for a while. Personally, I would like to get a formal evening session added to my routine. If anyone else is interested in adding a regular evening session to their routine, we could all do a bit of study, contemplation, and meditation practice together in the evenings.

Often, it is easier to get motivated and stay motivated when you know that others are depending upon you. Also, the intensity of working together in a group is greater than what we achieve on our own. We find a vast depth of effort when we’re in the presence of others. It’s rather miraculous really, a blessing we give each other. So, it might be helpful for all of us to meet and do a bit of study, contemplation, and/or meditation together each day — maybe 9:00PM London time?

Is anyone interested?

Diana Pisani
    Participant

Jared, there was someone on the West Coast who couldn’t join UK morning meditations because of the time difference – I’ve posted a comment in the Jamyang Facebook group to let them know about this.

Tahlia Lin
    Participant

Hi Diana, I’m also on the West Coast, as well as Switzerland for half a year. The best time for the two time zones to get together is probably sometime AFTER UK’s 4:00 PM, that’s 8:00 AM Pacific. I’d be interested to join if the time fits.

Jared K. Jones
    Participant

Hey there,

Would you be interested in an early evening session? If we get together at 9:00 PM my time, this will be 4:00 PM your time.

Warmly,
    Jared

Ann Norris
    Participant

[email protected]
    I have to reorganise things to get that time free but like the idea a lot. I will try….thankyou.

Carol McQuire
    Participant

Hi Jared,

I would like to join in too, but not every evening.
    Keep me informed as to what is decided.

Carol
    [email protected]

Jared K. Jones
    Participant

Excellent,

Given everyone has different needs, commitments, and schedules maybe we could start with 3 days a week?

Mon, Wed, Fri @ 9:00 pm?

We can do 30 mins of study, contemplation, or meditation together, and then call it an evening.

Warmly,
    Jared

Jared K. Jones
    Participant

Looks like we’re still in negotiations for the best times.

What evenings are best for everyone?

Nidhi Aggarwal
    Participant

Hi Jared

9 pm London time, 6 am PDT works good for me for half an hour. I would be okay to join Fridays for sure. I can’t commit every Monday/ wed right now. My email is [email protected]

Nidhi Aggarwal
    Participant

I can try Friday and Saturday both.

naif hajjar
    Participant

Hey Jared, let me know where you land on times for that and if I can break away I will be there (just send me the info to join).

Thank you

Jared K. Jones
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I am considering a late session today. If anyone would like to join, I’m going to get going at 10:00PM.

I know it’s last minute. Join if you can.

I think next week we can try for Friday and Saturday both.

Jared K. Jones
    Participant

Tonight @ 10:00PM

Join Zoom Meeting
    https://us04web.zoom.us/j/73377853434?pwd=cGZ6N3l1VWNBVC9yV0NSL3hwMmJTUT09

Meeting ID: 733 7785 3434
    Passcode: KL87Sx

Jared K. Jones
    Participant

Hello friends,

Per our conversation last week, for anyone interested, I’ll have an open zoom room at 9:00 tonight. I will also host a zoom meeting tomorrow at the same time:

Fri @ 9:00PM London time
    Sat @ 9:00PM London time

Topic: Establishing Daily Study, Contemplation, and Meditation Practice

Join Zoom Meeting
    https://us04web.zoom.us/j/7985228369?pwd=R0kvSkxLZTY5Y3d5ZGFNVFJXSE9MQT09

Meeting ID: 798 522 8369
    Passcode: Lamrim

Katrin Veicht
    Participant

Hi Jared, sorry, I know – this has nothing to do with the subject in this blog, but – on the Metta Sutra:

did you ever think about the last sentences in this Sutra:

By not holding to fixed views,
    The pure-hearted one, having clarity of vision,
    Being freed from all sense desires,
    Is not born again into this world.

Should this not -Bodhisattva like – say sth like – fullfilled by Bodhicitta will be born again into this world? Hmmm?!
    What do you think?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.